Dr Toma is senior research officer at Neuroscience Research Australia (NeuRA) and holds a conjoint lecturer position at School of Medical science (University of New South Wales). He obtained his PhD in human genetics at the University of Bologna (Italy) and carried out research projects in the genetics of neurodevelopmental disorders at the Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics (University of Oxford, UK) and in the genetics of psychiatric and Mendelian diseases at the University of Barcelona (Spain). Dr Toma has extensive experience in association studies, linkage studies, copy number variant (CNV) analyses and whole exome/genome sequencing. He has identified novel candidate genes for autism spectrum disorder and bipolar disorder, and suggested new genetic mechanisms.
Research Interest: Genetics of psychiatric diseases
Number of Publications: 31
Research Interest: Research mainly focused on Stem cells, cell differentiation, and dedifferentiation, Congenital Heart Disease, Diabetic Cardiomyopathy, Pharmacology, Molecular Genetics And Pulmonary Cardiac Regeneration.
List of publications:
1. Mattapally S, Z Mattapally S, Pawlik KM, Fast VG, Zumaquero E, Lund FE, Randall TD, Townes TM, Zhang J.. Human Leukocyte Antigen Class I and II Knockout Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-Derived Cells: Universal Donor for Cell Therapy. J Am Heart Assoc. 2018 Dec 4;7(23):e010239. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.118.010239.
2. Mattapally S, Zhu W, Fast VG, Gao L, Worley C, Kannappan R, Borovjagin A, Zhang
J. Spheroids of cardiomyocytes derived from human induced-pluripotent stem cells
improve recovery from myocardial injury in mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol.
2018 Aug 1;315 (2):H327-H339.
3. Mattapally S, Cukier-Meisner W.K, Zhang J. (2017) Differentiation and Use of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells for Cardiovascular Therapy and Tissue Engineering. In: Ieda M., Zimmermann WH. (eds) Cardiac Regeneration. Cardiac and Vascular Biology. Springer. DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-56106-6_5.
4. Gao L, Gregorich Z, Zhu W, Mattapally S, Oduk Y, lou X, Kannappan R, Borovjagin A, Walcott G, Pollard A, Fast V, Hu X, Lloud SG, Ge Y, Zhang J: Large Cardiac-muscle Patches Engineered from Human Induced-pluripotent Stem-cellderived Cardiac Cells Improve Recovery from Myocardial Infarction in Swine. Circulation 2017. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.117.030785.
5. Zhu W, Zhao M, Mattapally S, Zhang J: CCND2 Overexpression Enhances the Regenerative Potency of Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-Derived Cardiomyocytes: Remuscularization of Injured Ventricle. Circulation Research 2017. 121:9. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.117.311504.
6. Mattapally S, Nizamuddin S, Murthy KS, Thangaraj K, Banerjee SK. c.620C>T mutation in GATA4 is associated with congenital heart disease in South India. BMC Medical Genetics 2015, 16:7.
7. Mattapally S, Singh M, Murthy KS, Asthana S, Banerjee SK. Computational modeling suggests impaired interactions between NKX2.5 and GATA4 in individuals carrying a novel pathogenic D16N NKX2.5 mutation. Oncotarget 2018_ 9 (17), 13713.
8. Mattapally S, Banerjee SK: Nitric oxide: Redox balance, protein modification and therapeutic potential in cardiovascular system. IIOAB Journal 2011, 2:29-38.
9. Kannappan R, Mattapally S, Pooja S, Zhang J. Transactivation Domain of P53 Regulates DNA Integrity in Human Cardiac Fibroblast Derived iPS Cells. AJP-Heart and Circ- 2018 Sep 1;315(3):H512-H521. doi: 10.1152/ajpheart.00160.2018.
10. Pala RS, Pathipati UR, Mattapally S, Banerjee SK. Ultra-small silver nanoparticles induced ROS activated Toll-pathway against Staphylococcus aureus disease in silkworm model. Materials Science and Engineering, 2017: C 77, 990-1002.
11. Bagul PK, Middela H, Matapally S, Padiya R, Bastia T, Madhusudana K, Reddy BR, Chakravarty S, Banerjee SK. Attenuation of Insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome and hepatic oxidative stress by resveratrol in fructose-fed rats. Pharmacological Research, 2012, 66(3): 260-268.
12. Zhao M , Fan C, Ernst PJ , Tang Y, Zhub H , Mattapally S , Oduk Y , Borovjagin AV ,
Zhou L , Zhang J, , Zhu W. Y-27632 Preconditioning Enhances Transplantation of Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-Derived Cardiomyocytes in Myocardial Infarction Mice. Cardiovascular Research, cvy207,https://doi.org/10.1093/cvr/cvy207.
13. Adela R, Nethi SK, Bagul PK, Barui AK, Mattapally S, Kuncha M, Patra CR, Reddy PN, Banerjee SK. Hyperglycaemia Enhances Nitric Oxide Production in Diabetes: A study from Indian Patients. PLoS One. 2015 Apr 20;10(4).
14. Nethi SK, Veeriah V, Barui AK, Rajendran S, Mattapally S, Misra S, Chatterjee S and Patra CR. Investigation of molecular mechanisms and regulatory pathways of pro-angiogenic nanorods. Nanoscale. 2015,7, 9760-9770.
15. Santhoshi A, Mahendar B, Mattapally S, Sadhua P, Banerjee SK, Rao VJ. Synthesis of Thio-HeterocyclicAnaloguesfrom Baylis-Hillmann Bromides as Potent Cyclooxygenase-2 Inhibitors. Bioorg Med Chem Lett, 2014, 24 (8), 1952-1957.
16. Ravinder M, Mahendar B, Mattapally S, Hamsini KV, Reddy TN, Rohit C, Srinivas K, Banerjee SK, Rao VJ. Synthesis and evaluation of novel 2-pyridone derivatives as inhibitors of phosphodiestarase3 (PDE3): A target for heart failure and platelet aggregation. Bioorg Med Chem Lett, 2012, 22(18): 6010-6015.
Research Interest: Cardiovascular disease epidemiology,
hypertensive heart disease, cardiovascular imaging and genetic epidemiology of
Research Interest: Pathology including molecular findings
in lung and breast cancer.
Research Interest: Biomarkers for the early detection and
targeted therapeutics for triple negative breast cancer, oxidative stress and
its role in linking cancer and diabetes, development of protein based
biologics, clathrin coated pit-mediated endocytosis and its downstream
signaling, drug delivery, syngeneic and xenografts mice model.
Research Interest: Inflammatory responses, bone
regeneration, bone metabolism, osteoclast, osteoblast, mesenchymal stem cell,
signal transduction, cancer-induced bone diseases.
Research Interest: Endocrinology, Molecular Cell Biology, Medical Genetic, Biochemistry, Genomic, Bioinformatics, Drug Discovery
Research Interest: Analysis of genomic data including
next-generation sequencing, microarrays data etc.; development of algorithms
for discovery of predictive biomarkers for cancer such as gene mutation
signatures and gene expression signatures; systems and computational biology
for elucidating the nature of oncogenesis; inference of molecular interaction
networks relevant to specific disease; inference of cancer genomic evolution
based on gene mutation information; identification of synthetic lethal genes
for cancer therapy.
Research Interest: Clinical research is in caveolin-1
(and related candidate gene) single nucleotide polymorphism in kidney disease,
transplantation, patient related morbidity as well as basic science research of
caveolin-1, its knockout, pericytes in models of renal fibrosis and methods to
reintroduce caveolin-1 using viromimetic vectors. Other research interests
include cytomegalovirus risk, allograft outcome prediction, medications effects
Research Interest: Pediatrics and Pediatric Nephrology,
(tubular discarders in particular).
Research Interest: Epigenetics, DNA methylation, Gene
Research Interest: Epigenetics in glioma, especially methylation patterns, Stem cell research in glioma
Research Interest: Environmental Physiology,Cell cultures; Cell models; Cell physiology; Signal transduction; Gene expression; Proteomics; Mesenchymal stem cell biology and differentiation ; Krabbe disease, e
Research Interest: Genetics
Research Interest: Pediatrics, endocrinology, short stature, puberty, obesity, genetics
Research Interest: Gene expression, gene therapy, cell biology, neurodegenerative disease, male and female infertility.
Research Interest: IRS1 IRS2,miR-200a,insulin/IGF signaling,paraganglioma,APC gene
Research Interest: Epidemiology and pathophysiology of ischemic stroke Inflammatory activation of the acute phase of acute ischemic stroke in relation of subtypes of ischemic stroke,CD4+CD28- T cells in acute ischemic stroke killer cell immunoglobulin-like receptors (KIR) receptors in acute clinical subtypes of acute ischemic stroke Treatment with high-dose furosemide and small-volume hypertonic saline therapy in refractory heart failure Treatment with high-dose furosemide and small-volume hypertonic saline therapy in refractory ascites diabetic foot as a cardiovascular risk marker Anderson-Fabry disease
Research Interest: Cancer biology, Cancer biomarkers, Cancer cells, Cancer research, Copy number variants, Epigenetics, Gene expression, Genomics, Gene regulation, Human genetics, Microarray analysis, microRNA, Molecular Oncology, Transcriptomics
2011- present : Associate Professor of Medical Genetics (Area A1/06- SSD MED03), University of Chieti-Pescara Italy On April 2017, VG obtained the National Scientific Qualification as Full Professor in Medical Genetics (SSD MED/03)
2005-2011: University Researcher (Medical Genetics - MED 03) University of Chieti-Pescara ( Italy)
2002-2005: Post-Phd Fellowship supported by University of Chieti.
1995- Fellowship supported by European Structural Funds. Research area: Biological and Medical Science carried out at the Centro di Genetica Evoluzionistica- CNR Rome
Research Interest: During the course of her scientific activity, VG worked in the field of molecular genetics, using the most recent techniques for the study of gene mutations causing pathologies such as male infertility, short stature (linked to mutations of the SHOX gene), familiar breast cancer (due to mutations of the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes), Van Der Woude syndrome (IRF6 gene), and several neuromuscular diseases (Duchenne Muscular Dystrohpy, distal SMA, and others).
She is head of a research team, working in the CAST research Centre of Chieti University specialized in molecular genetics.
During these years VG primary interest was the study of the molecular basis of human reproduction and she is currently investigating molecular mechanisms involved in oocyte competence and male infertility.
These studies have been carried out by VG using a variety of molecular genetics technique like PCR, Southern Blot, DNA sequencing, as well as Multiple Ligation-Dependent Probe Amplification (MLPA). In the last few years, she has employed Real Time PCR, microarray , HRM, pyrosequencing and NGS technologies to investigate the modulation of gene expression profile in different models and SNPs (oocyte mitochondrial DNA, sperm, cumulus cells, oocyte, Transgenic Mouse Models of AD, stem cells).
Number of publications: 10
Research Interest: Mechanism(s) of neurotransmitter and hormone synthesis, secretion and action, and the associated cellular regulatory pathways and their modulation by pharmacological agents. I am also interested in the effects of pharmacological and dietary modulation (medical foods, herbs, behavioural techniques etc) of metabolic, cellular, organ and systemic levels. I am especially interested in the age-related diseases, such as cancer, neurodegeneration. Expertise in the prevention of CNS/PNS damage in conditions related to metabolic syndrome (diabetes), stroke, ischemia, hypoxia and diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
Research Interest: Ectodermal Dysplasia, hypodontia, rare diseases, genetic diseases, hyperdontia, oral manifestations, Cleidocranial Dysplasia, Amelogenesis Imperfecta, Dentinogenesis Imperfecta, X linked reticulated pigmentary disorder, Turner Syndrome, Williams-Beuren syndrome, Alagille Syndrome, Neurofibromatosis, Cornelia de Lange Syndrome, Allgrove Syndrome, delopmental biology
Research Interest: The immunology and immunogenetic of tuberculosis and sarcoidosis with particular interests in the role of HLA, NRAMP1 and participation of M. tuberculosis heat shock proteins in the pathogenesis of sarcoidosis; Mycobacterial heat shock proteins and their role in sarcoidosis and tuberculosis.
Research Interest: Oncology, Genetics and Gene Therapy, Signaling Pathways, Molecular Research, Cell Biology, Signal transduction.
Research Interest: Neuropathology, molecular pathology of tumors, general and pediatric pathology
Research Interest: genetic studies, molecular biology, rheumatology, autoimmune diseases, polymorphisms and mutation, RNA and protein levels, T cells, transcriptional factors, cytokines, angiogenesis, signaling pathways in immune responses, inflammation
Research Interest: Protein expression, purification, crystallization and structure determination Sign a transaction and transcription regulation Chemistry, drug design, origin of life and quantum chemistry
Research Interest: Molecular biology and pathogenesis of herpesviruses, molecular mechanisms of establisment of latency and virus reactivation from latency in vitro and in vivo, molecular genetics of attenuattion and regulation of gene expression
Research Interest: Water composition and nutrition Genetics in Inborn Error Metabolism Nutrition in Pediatrics
Research Interest: Forensic Odontology; Forensic Anthropology; Dental malpratice litigation
Research Interest: Processos carcinogênicos e progressão de lesão. Invasão e metastáse. Processos patológicos envolvendo Papilomavirus humano (HPV) Estudos envolvendo análises citológicas e histopatológicos.
Research Interest: Molecular markers Genome, Evolutionary and Population, Genetics, Microbial Genetics
Research Interest: Head and Neck Cancer Objetivos:Epidemiology and Head and Neck pathology. Biomarkers of prognostic in Head and Neck tumors
Research Interest: Genética Humana e Médica Carcinogênese Mutagênese
Research Interest: Biological Sciences, Genetics, Subarea: Molecular Genetics of Microorganisms and Major Agrarian Sciences, Agronomy, Plant, Specialty: Vegetable Improvement Major, Agrarian Sciences, Agronomy, Subarea: Plant, Specialty: Management and Cultural Abuse
Research Interest: Systems biology research for brain arteriovenous, malformation
Research Interest: Diabetes and its Complications, Osteoporosis, Cardiovascular Disease, Neuropathy; Mathematical Modelling for Human Complex Disease; Policy and Clinical Decision Analysis in Medical Science; Stochastic Process Analysis and Bayesian Analysis for Clinical Medicine; Mathematical Methodology Development for Clinical Science; Gene Mapping and Identification of Human Complex Disease; Data Analysis for Results of Experiment
Research Interest: Genomics Application in Auditory Disease; Novel Deafness Gene and Mutations Identification; Next Generation Sequencing
Research Interest: My Research Focuses on the Bacterial Pathogens Analysis. It includes: Pathogen Identification (Including MALDI-TOF MS/MS Analysis); Bacteria GWAS Analysis; Infectious Disease Diagnosis; Vaccine Development
Research Interest: Experienced in Molecular Biologic, Cellular Biologic, and Immunologic Techniques; Expert at Flow Cytometry, ELISA, Real-Time PCR, and Luciferase Reporter Gene Assay.
Current Research is focused on the Diagnostic and Therapeutic Role of B-Cell-Activating Factor (BAFF) in Autoimmune Disorders
Research Interest: Identification of the Gene Responsible for Hereditary Deafness and Onycodystrophy Syndrome and Functional Study on the Gene
Research Interest: Epigenomics and pharmacogenomics in anti-cancer chemotherapy (Epi)Genetics and (epi)genomics for cancers and complex diseases
Research Interest: Molecular Biology and Toxicology; Mainly on Liver Toxicity and Testis of Cadmium, he has Made a Great Contribution to Understand the Mechanisms and to Potentially Prevent these Diseases for Cadmium
Research Interest: Mechanisms of cell signaling pathway of cell death Cancer Biology Mechanisms of anti-cancer effect of cancer chemopreventive agents
Research Interest: Molecular Ecology: Biological Resources Indicator species application of ecological risk assessment Microbial Indicators Molecular genetics of arsenic resistance system bacteria
Dr. Rath Research Institute
1260 Memorex Drive, Santa Clara, USA
Global Journal of Cancer Therapy
Cardiometabolic Research Institute, USA
Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine and Cardiology
Catholic University of Lyon, France
Annals of Cytology and Pathology
Jose Manuel Ramia-Angel
Guadalajara University Hospital , Spain
Journal of Surgery and Surgical Research
University of Athens , Greece
International Journal of Oral and Craniofacial Science
Cardiovascular Research Foundation, New York, USA
Archives of Clinical Hypertension
Catholic University of Rome, Italy
Open Journal of Orthopedics and Rheumatology
Beijing University of Technology , PR China
Journal of Civil Engineering and Environmental Sciences
International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL), Portugal
International Journal of Nanomaterials, Nanotechnology and Nanomedicine
Rafal Tomasz Pawliczak
Medical University of Lodz, Poland
Open Journal of Asthma