Dr. Banikalyan Swain obtained his Ph.D. in Biotechnology from Utkal University in 2015, Bhubaneswar, India. He joined University of Florida as a Postdoctoral Associate in 2015. Currently he is working as a Research Scientist in Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, University of Florida. Dr. Swain focused on innate and adaptive immune mechanism of fish and he has published his research in different reputed peer reviewed journals. He is working on the design, construction and evaluation of genetically modified derivatives of Edwardsiella piscicida, as vaccine vectors to deliver protective antigens encoded by genes from other pathogens as well as DNA vaccines encoding such protective antigens. Dr. Swain and his group has designed a regulated delayed attenuation and programmed self-destructing Edwardsiella piscicida strains that efficiently colonize fish lymphoid tissues, allow release of the bacterial cell contents after lysis and exhibit complete biological containment. These technologies are being used to reduce morbidity and mortality caused by bacterial, viral and parasite infectious disease agents of fish.
Research Interest: Bacterial pathogenesis, Host-pathogen interactions, Innate and adaptive immunity, Vaccine development
1 Development Of Edwardsiella piscicida vaccine vector systems to prevent bacterial diseases in aquaculture”
Role: Principal Investigator
Funding: CVM 2020-21 Fall Research Grant Competition
2 Edwardsiella piscicida DNA vaccine vector to prevent infection by Tilapia Lake Virus (TiLV) as a model vaccine to develop a generalized vaccine vector to protect commercial fish from multiple infectious diseases to improve aquaculture productivity
Role: Key Personnel
Funding: FOUNDATION FOR FOOD AND AGRICULTURE RES
3 Edwardsiella piscicida: a vaccine delivery platform for multiple fish pathogens
Role: Key Personnel. Funding: USDA/NIFA Animal Health.
List of Publications:
Research articles (Peer-reviewed)
1. Swain B, Powell CT, Curtiss R. Construction and evaluation of Recombinant Attenuated Edwardsiella piscicida Vaccine (RAEV) vector system encoding Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (Ich) antigen IAG52B. Journal: Journal: Frontiers in Immunology, section Microbial Immunology. Date accepted: 12/21/2021.
2. B. Swain, C.T. Powell, R. Curtiss, Virulence, immunogenicity and live vaccine potential of aroA and phoP mutants of Edwardsiella piscicida in zebrafish, Microbial Pathogenesis 162 (2022) 105355.
3. Swain B, Powell CT, Curtiss R. Pathogenicity and immunogenicity of Edwardsiella piscicida ferric uptake regulator (fur) mutations in zebrafish. Fish & shellfish immunology. 2020;107:497-510.
4. Samanta M, Basu M, Swain B, Paichha M, Lenka SS, Das S, et al. Molecular cloning and characterization of LrTLR4, analysis of its inductive expression and associated down-stream signaling molecules following lipopolysaccharide stimulation and Gram-negative bacterial infection. Fish & shellfish immunology. 2017;60:164-76.
5. Basu M, Lenka SS, Paichha M, Swain B, Patel B, Banerjee R, et al. Immunoglobulin (Ig) D in Labeo rohita is widely expressed and differentially modulated in viral, bacterial and parasitic antigenic challenges. Veterinary immunology and immunopathology. 2016;179:77-84.
6. Swain B, Basu M, Lenka SS, Das S, Jayasankar P, Samanta M. Characterization and Inductive Expression Analysis of Interferon Gamma-Related Gene in the Indian Major Carp, Rohu (Labeo rohita). DNA and cell biology. 2015;34(5):367-78.
7. Basu M, Paichha M, Swain B, Lenka SS, Singh S, Chakrabarti R, et al. Modulation of TLR2, TLR4, TLR5, NOD1 and NOD2 receptor gene expressions and their downstream signaling molecules following thermal stress in the Indian major carp catla (Catla catla). 3 Biotech. 2015;5(6):1021-30.
8. Samanta M, Swain B, Basu M, Mahapatra G, Sahoo BR, Paichha M, et al. Toll-like receptor 22 in Labeo rohita: molecular cloning, characterization, 3D modeling, and expression analysis following ligands stimulation and bacterial infection. Applied biochemistry and biotechnology. 2014;174(1):309-27.
9. Bej A, Sahoo BR, Swain B, Basu M, Jayasankar P, Samanta M. LRRsearch: An asynchronous server-based application for the prediction of leucine-rich repeat motifs and an integrative database of NOD-like receptors. Computers in biology and medicine. 2014;53:164-70.
10. Samanta M, Basu M, Swain B, Panda P, Jayasankar P. Molecular cloning and characterization of Toll-like receptor 3, and inductive expression analysis of type I IFN, Mx and pro-inflammatory cytokines in the Indian carp, rohu (Labeo rohita). Molecular biology reports. 2013;40(1):225-35.
11. Swain B, Basu M, Samanta M. NOD1 and NOD2 receptors in mrigal (Cirrhinus mrigala): inductive expression and downstream signalling in ligand stimulation and bacterial infections. Journal of biosciences. 2013;38(3):533-48.
12. Sahoo BR, Swain B, Dikhit MR, Basu M, Bej A, Jayasankar P, et al. Activation of nucleotide-binding oligomerization domain 1 (NOD1) receptor signaling in Labeo rohita by iE-DAP and identification of ligand-binding key motifs in NOD1 by molecular modeling and docking. Applied biochemistry and biotechnology. 2013;170(6):1282-309.
13. Sahoo BR, Basu M, Swain B, Dikhit MR, Jayasankar P, Samanta M. Elucidation of novel structural scaffold in rohu TLR2 and its binding site analysis with peptidoglycan, lipoteichoic acid and zymosan ligands, and downstream MyD88 adaptor protein. BioMed research international. 2013:185282.
14. Maharana J, Swain B, Sahoo BR, Dikhit MR, Basu M, Mahapatra AS, et al. Identification of MDP (muramyl dipeptide)-binding key domains in NOD2 (nucleotide-binding and oligomerization domain-2) receptor of Labeo rohita. Fish physiology and biochemistry. 2013;39(4):1007-23.
15. Swain B, Maiti NK, Samanta M. Nucleotide Binding and Oligomerization Domain 1 (NOD1) Receptor in Catla (Catla catla) : Inductive Expression and Down-Stream Signaling in Ligand Stimulation and Bacterial Infections. International Research Journal of Biological Sciences. 2013;2(3):6.
16. Basu M, Swain B, Maiti NK, Routray P, Samanta M. Inductive expression of toll-like receptor 5 (TLR5) and associated downstream signaling molecules following ligand exposure and bacterial infection in the Indian major carp, mrigal (Cirrhinus mrigala). Fish & shellfish immunology. 2012;32(1):121-31.
17. Samanta M, Swain B, Basu M, Panda P, Mohapatra GB, Sahoo BR, et al. Molecular characterization of toll-like receptor 2 (TLR2), analysis of its inductive expression and associated down-stream signaling molecules following ligands exposure and bacterial infection in the Indian major carp, rohu (Labeo rohita). Fish & shellfish immunology. 2012;32(3):411-25.
18. Basu M, Swain B, Sahoo BR, Maiti NK, Samanta M. Induction of toll-like receptor (TLR) 2, and MyD88-dependent TLR- signaling in response to ligand stimulation and bacterial infections in the Indian major carp, mrigal (Cirrhinus mrigala). Molecular biology reports. 2012;39(5):6015-28.
19. Swain B, Basu M, Samanta M. Molecular cloning and characterization of nucleotide binding and oligomerization domain-1 (NOD1) receptor in the Indian Major Carp, rohu (Labeo rohita), and analysis of its inductive expression and down-stream signalling molecules following ligands exposure and Gram-negative bacterial infections. Fish & shellfish immunology. 2012;32(5):899-908.
20. Swain B, Basu M, Sahoo BR, Maiti NK, Routray P, Eknath AE, et al. Molecular characterization of nucleotide binding and oligomerization domain (NOD)-2, analysis of its inductive expression and down-stream signaling following ligands exposure and bacterial infection in rohu (Labeo rohita). Developmental and comparative immunology. 2012;36(1):93-103.
21. Swain B, Samanta M, Basu M, Panda P, Sahoo BR, Maiti NK, et al. Molecular characterization, inductive expression and mechanism of interleukin-10 gene induction in the Indian major carp, catla (Catla catla). Aquaculture Research. 2012;43(6):897-907.
22. Sahoo BR, Basu M, Swain B, Maharana J, Dikhit MR, Jayasankar P, et al. Structural insights of rohu TLR3, its binding site analysis with fish reovirus dsRNA, poly I:C and zebrafish TRIF. International journal of biological macromolecules. 2012;51(4):531-43.
23. Sahoo BR, Swain B, Basu M, Panda P, Maiti NK, Samanta M. 3D modeling and molecular dynamics simulation of an immune-regulatory cytokine, interleukin-10, from the Indian major carp, Catla catla. Journal of molecular modeling. 2012;18(5):1713-22.
24. Swain B, Basu M, Samanta M. Cloning of interleukin-10 gene in the Indian major carp, Labeo rohita (Hamilton 1822) and its functional characterization following Aeromonas hydrophila infection. Indian Journal of Fisheries. 2011;58:39-47.
Swain - Google Scholar<!--[if gte mso 10]>
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
Dr. Pierre Guertin
Laval University, Canada
Archive of Gerontology and Geriatrics Research
University of Athens , Greece
International Journal of Oral and Craniofacial Science
Catholic University of Rome, Italy
Open Journal of Orthopedics and Rheumatology
University of Athens, Greece
Journal of Novel Physiotherapy and Physical Rehabilitation
Catholic University of Lyon, France
Annals of Cytology and Pathology
Democritus University of Thrace , Greece
International Journal of Vascular Surgery and Medicine
Dr. Rath Research Institute
1260 Memorex Drive, Santa Clara, USA
Global Journal of Cancer Therapy
Cardiovascular Research Foundation, New York, USA
Archives of Clinical Hypertension
Manuel Jose Lis Arias
Polytechnic University of Catalonia, Spain
Archive of Biochemistry
University of Nantes, France
Archives of Depression and Anxiety