Richard Kones MD began as a mathematically inclined chemical engineer, and then attended NYU School of Medicine in a special pilot program. Inspired by a mentor in the Physiology department, he conducted independent research studying aldosterone with a novel technique, and became a full member of the New York Academy of Sciences while still in medical school. He completed training in New York and continued a NIH Fellowship in cardiology at Tulane University School of Medicine, also working at the Charity Hospital and Veterans Administration Hospital in New Orleans.
He returned to New York Medical College to continue researching actions of inotropic agents, myocardial function, preservation of ischemic myocardium, and cardiogenic shock, eventually relocating in Texas. An avid supporter of applications of biochemistry and physiology, he continued teaching and publishing, emphasizing translational research. In addition to presentations, lectures, has mentored medical students and house staff at several medical schools and affiliated hospitals. His interests gradually turned to the role pathological signalling plays in the pathogenesis of atherothrombosis, especially the interaction of inflammatory mechanisms, endothelial dysfunction and mitochondrial involvement in disease, lipid metabolism, metabolic syndrome and related evidence-based interventions to improve clinical outcomes. Fundamental mechanisms and molecular and cellular cardiology have been central to his work, as well as the practical aspects of how simple lifestyle and dietary changes may be powerful tools to minimize risk factors.
During the course of his academic career he has received several scholarships, awards, and grants. His work includes publications in peer-reviewed medical journals, books, presentations, and lectures. He serves on a number of committees in various medical organizations, peer reviews for over 158 medical journals, and volunteers for the mentoring programs in the American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics and American Heart Association. Over the years Dr. Kones’ biography has appeared in a number of editions of Who’s Who and other biographical registries. At its inception, he was appointed one of the founding editors of Medpedia online, a collaborative educational project among several medical schools, and served as a Board Member of the Committees on Cardiovascular Disease, Internal Medicine, and Nutrition of the Medpedia project. Currently he is Editor-in-Chief of Research Reports in Clinical Cardiology and sits on the Editorial Boards of other journals.
He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine and the Royal Society of Public Health, a Fellow of the New York Cardiological Society, now merged with the New York Chapter of the American College of Cardiology, a Founding Fellow of the American Geriatrics Society, and the European Society of Cardiology. He is a member of the American Public Health Association, European Society of Cardiology Council for Cardiology Practice, European Heart Rhythm Association, Acute Cardiovascular Care Association, the Heart Rhythm Society, and the Heart Failure Association. Dr. Kones is an emeritus member of the American Physiological Society, a member of The Physiological Society in London, as well as the International Union of the Physiological Sciences. He is also a member of Councils in the American Heart Association, the American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, a Fellow of the American College of Pharmacology, and Fellow in both the American College of Angiology and International College of Angiology. His other affiliations include the Society for Critical Care Medicine, European Atherosclerosis Society, International Atherosclerosis Society, American Society for Hypertension, National Lipid Association, American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation, American Society for Preventive Cardiology, Society of Atherosclerosis Imaging and Prevention, International Society for Heart Research, Heart Failure Society of America, American Diabetes Association, Endocrine Society, American Thoracic Society, Inflammation Research Association, and the Metabolic Syndrome Institute (Fr). He has also been a long-standing active member of the French Society of Cardiology and other notable scientific organizations and working groups. In all these organizations, Dr. Kones has always emphasized preventive and public health approaches first and foremost.
The American Physiological Society has recognized Dr Kones for sustained years of active service, as did the American College of Sports Medicine with a commemorative award. He is a supporter of, and volunteer in, the American Heart Association’s Advocacy Program. Finally, Dr. Kones has been active in the nutrition community, having been member and serving on committees, councils, sections, and working groups in The Nutrition Society (London), American Society of Nutrition, American College of Nutrition (Fellow) and International College of Nutrition (Fellow). Recently The Royal Society of Biology elected him a Fellow.
List of Publications:
1. KONES RJ; PHILLIPS JH; GLUCAGON IN CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE. CARDIOLOGY DIGEST. (NOVEMBER) 1971; 6:11.
2. KONES RJ; PHILLIPS JH; GLUCAGON: PRESENT STATUS IN CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE. CARDIOLOGY DIGEST. (MARCH) 1972; 7:28.
3. KONES RJ; PHILLIPS JH, HERSH J; PATHOPHYSIOLOGY AND MECHANISM OF CHAOTIC ATRIAL MECHANISM. CHEST. 1972 (ALSO PRESENTED AT THE 38TH SCIENTIFIC SESSION, AMERICAN COLLEGE OF CHEST PHYSICIANS, OCTOBER 22 – 26, 1972, DENVER); 62:366
4. KONES RJ; WHAT’S NEW IN THE MANAGEMENT OF LEFT VENTRICULAR POWER FAILURE? SAN JUAN; AMERICAN COLLGE OF ANGIOLOGY, 19TH ANNUAL MEETING; (JANUARY 22 – 25) 1973.
5. KONES RJ; PATHOGENESIS OF CARDIOGENIC SHOCK; MEDICAL DIGEST. (JANUARY) 1974; 20:35 – 36.
6. KONES RJ; IL GLUCAGONE NEL BLOCCO CARDIACO; ACTA DIABETOLOGIA LATINA. 1973; 20:125
7. KONES RJ, PHILLIPS JH; IL GLUCAGONE NELL’INSUFFICIENZA CARDIACA CONGESTIZIA; ACTA DIABETOLOGIA LATINA. 1973; 10:125 – 126.
8. KONES RJ; QUALITATIVE ASPECTS OF ENTROPY; DRAPER DIGEST. (JUNE) 1958; 4:24–26 (DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY, New York UNIVERSITY).
9. KONES RJ; ELECTROLUMINESCENCE; DRAPER DIGEST. (JUNE) 1959; 5:16–20 (DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY, New York UNIVERSITY).
10. KONES RJ; THE EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS AND THEIR SEQUENTIAL PROPERTIES: A RIGOROUS AND SEQUENTIAL DEVELOPMENT, New York UNIVERSITY, THE DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS (AS A SUPPLEMENTARY SYLLABUS TO ADVANCED MATHEMATICAL ANALYSIS, POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL – ENGINEERING); (APRIL) 1960
11. KONES RJ; DIFFUSION OF NONELECTROLYTES AND ELECTROLYTES ACROSS BIOLOGICAL MEMBRANES; DRAPER DIGEST. (MAY) 1960; 6:1–8 (DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY, New York UNIVERSITY).
12. KONES RJ; ON THE ETIOLOGY AND SEROLOGICAL MANIFESTATIONS OF SYSTEMIC LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSUS AND RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS; PRESENTED TO THE RHEUMATIC DISEASES STUDY GROUP, CURRIER MC EWEN, MD CHAIRMAN. (AUGUST 25) 1963; 1 – 72.
13. KONES RJ; GLUCAGON IN HEART BLOCK; SOUTHERN MEDICAL JOURNAL. (APRIL) 1971; 64(4):459 – 461. PDF (151 KB)
14. KONES RJ, PHILLIPS JH; GLUCAGON IN CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE CHEST. (APRIL) 1971; 59(4):392–397. Abstract Full Text (PDF)
15. KONES RJ, PHILLIPS JH; GLUCAGON – PRESENT STATUS IN CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE; CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY AND THERAPEUTICS. (MAY – JUNE) 1971; 12:427 – 444.
16. KONES RJ; TOPICS IN BIOLOGICAL TRANSPORT. I. PARTICULAR AND IONIC DIFFUSION; JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR AND CELLULAR CARDIOLOGY. (OCTOBER) 1971; 3(2):179 – 192. Abstract PDF
17. KONES RJ, DOMBECK DH, PHILLIPS JH; GLUCAGON IN CARDIOGENIC SHOCK; ANGIOLOGY (SEPT) 1972; 23(9):525 – 535. Full Text (PDF) | References | Table of Contents
18. KONES RJ, PHILLIPS JH; NEWER INOTROPIC AGENTS FOR CARDIOGENIC SHOCK; SOUTHERN MEDICAL JOURNAL. (MARCH) 1972; 65(3):329 – 332. PDF (210 KB)
19. KONES RJ, PHILLIPS JH; FOREIGN BODY OF THE HEART COMPLICATED BY PAPILLARY MUSCLE NECROSIS AND LOCATED BY ECHOCARDIOGRAPHY: REPORT OF THE CASE AND REVIEW OF THE LITERATURE; CHEST. (JULY) 1972; 62(1):52 – 57. Abstract Full Text (PDF)
20. KONES RJ; EL GLUCAGON EN LA TERAPIA DE LOS SINDROMES DE DEBITO BAJO; REVISTA MEDICA DE CHILE. (BY INVITATION) 1972; 100:1116 – 1119.
21. BURCH GE, KONES RJ; ESSENTIAL HYPERHIDROSIS: CORRELATION OF DIGITAL BLOOD FLOW AND CAPILLARY FINE STRUCTURE AFTER UNILATERAL SYMPATHECTOMY; AMERICAN JOURNAL OF MEDICINE. (MARCH) 1973; 54(3):378 – 389. Abstract Abstract + References PDF (6348 KB)
22. KONES RJ; CAPILLARY ENDOTHELIUM AND DATA PROCESSING: A HYPOTHESIS; PERSPECTIVES IN BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE. (WINTER) 1973; 16:288 – 291.
23. KONES RJ; CAPILLARY ULTRA STRUCTURE IN THERMALLY STRESSED PAIRED DIGITAL BIOPSIES OF MAN; ANGIOLOGY. (JULY) 1980; 31 (7):472–480. Full Text (PDF) | References | Table of Contents http://ang.sagepub.com/content/31/7/472.full.pdf+html
24. KONES RJ; GLUCAGON: A NEW AGENT FOR THE TREATMENT OF LOW CARDIAC OUTPUT SYNDROMES; JAPANESE HEART JOURNAL (BY INVITATION). (MAY) 1972; 13:226 – 271.
25. KONES RJ; CARDIOGENIC SHOCK-RECENT ADVANCES AND THERAPEUTIC IMPLICATIONS; CARDIOLOGY DIGEST (BY INVITATION). (FEBRUARY) 1973; 8:7 – 19.
26. KONES R; OXYGEN THERAPY FOR ACUTE MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION: BASIS FOR A PRACTICAL APPROACH; SOUTHERN MEDICAL JOURNAL. (NOVEMBER) 1974; 67:1322–1328. http://sma.org/southern-medical-journal/article/oxygen-therapy-for-acute-myocardial-infarction-basis-for-a-practical-approach/
27. KONES RJ, BENNINGER GW; DIGITALIS FOR ACUTE MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION; HEART AND LUNG. (JANUARY – FEBRUARY) 1975; 4:99 – 103.
28. KONES RJ; PATHOGENESIS OF CARDIOGENIC SHOCK; NEW YORK STATE JOURNAL OF MEDICINE. (JUNE 15) 1973; 73:1662 – 1670, 1793 – 1804. (JULY 1) 1973; PARTS I AND II.
29. KONES RJ; CARDIOGENIC SHOCK – RECENT ADVANCES IN PHARMACOLOGIC MANAGEMENT; NEW YORK STATE JOURNAL OF MEDICINE. (JULY 15) 1973; 73:1886 – 1893, 1967 – 1980. (AUGUST 1) 1973; PARTS I AND II.
30. KONES RJ; MECHANICAL CIRCULATORY ASSISTANCE: PRESENT STATUS; NEW YORK STATE JOURNAL OF MEDICINE. (MARCH) 1974; 74:516 – 531.
31. KONES RJ; METABOLISM OF THE ACUTELY ISCHEMIC AND HYPOXIC HEART; CRITICAL CARE MEDICINE. (NOVEMBER – DECEMBER) 1973; 1(6):321 – 330. Abstract PDF http://journals.lww.com/ccmjournal/toc/1973/11000
32. KONES RJ; THE EQUIVALENT ELECTRIC CIRCUIT OF THE SARCOLEMMA; MEDIKON (BELGIUM). (JANUARY, NO. 1) 1976; 5:5 – 10.
33. KONES RJ: MOLECULAR AND IONIC BASIS OF ALTERED MYOCARDIAL CONTRACTILITY, Research Communications in Chemical Pathology and Pharmacology JANUARY 1973; VOLUME 5, SUPPLEMENT 1, pp 1-84, LATER PUBLISHED AS A MONOGRAPH BY PJD PUBLICATIONS, WESTBURY, NY http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4356588 Res Commun Chem Pathol Pharmacol. 1973 Jan;5(1):1-84
34. KONES RJ, PHILLIPS JH; GLUCOSE, INSULIN AND POTASSIUM (GIK) TREATMENT FOR LOW CARDIAC OUTPUT SYNDROMES; CRITICAL CARE MEDICINE. (JULY – AUGUST, NO. 4) 1975; 3(4):143 – 154. Abstract PDF
35. KONES RJ; CARDIOGENIC SHOCK, ISBN #0-87993-932-2, LIBRARY OF CONGRESS #79-89311, 153 E. MAIN STREET, MOUNT KISCO, NEW YORK 10549, FUTURA PUBLISHING COMPANY; 1974.
36. KONES RJ; GLUCOSE, INSULIN, POTASSIUM AND THE HEART, ISBN #0-87993054-3 LIBRARY OF CONGRESS #74-21391, 153 E. MAIN STREET, MOUNT KISCO, NEW YORK 10549, FUTURA PUBLISHING COMPANY; 1975.
37. KONES RJ; TERAPIA GLUCOCORTICOIDEA EN EL INFARTO AGUDO DEL MIOCARDIO,
REVISTA MEDICA (CHILE); (JULY) 1974; 102:536 – 541.
38. KONES RJ, PHILLIPS JH; INSULIN: FUNDAMENTAL MECHANISM OF ACTION AND THE HEART, CARDIOLOGY. (SEPTEMBER) 1976; 60:280 – 303.
39. KONES RJ; VENTRICULAR MECHANICS FOLLOWING ACUTE MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION AND IN CARDIOGENIC SHOCK, MEDIKON (BELGIUM). (JANUARY) 1975; 4:9 – 16.
40. KONES RJ; DIGITALIS: FACTS AND FANTASIES, CARDIOLOGY DIGEST. (JULY) 1974; 9:11 – 15 AND (NOVEMBER) 1974; 9:11 – 15.
41. KONES RJ; GLUCOSE, POTASSIUM AND INSULIN THERAPY FOR HEART DISEASE, NEW YORK STATE JOURNAL OF MEDICINE. (AUGUST) 1975; 75:1463 – 1492 (BY INVITATION).
42. Kones RJ. Cardiogenic Shock: Therapeutic Implications of Altered Myocardial Energy Balance. Angiology. May 1974; vol. 25: pp. 317 - 333. Full Text (PDF) | References | Table of Contents
43. KONES RJ, PHILLIPS JH; CHAOTIC ATRIAL MECHANISM: CHARACTERISTICS AND TREATMENT, CRITICAL CARE MEDICINE. (SEPTEMBER – OCTOBER) 1974; 2(5):243 – 249. Abstract PDF
44. KONES RJ, PHILLIPS JH; REDUCTION IN MYOCARDIAL INFARCT SIZE: PREVENTION OF HEART CELL DEATH, SOUTHERN MEDICAL JOURNAL (APRIL) 1976; 69(4):442-448. Abstract PDF (665 KB)
45. KONES RJ, PHILLIPS JH; PREVENTION OF HEART CELL DEATH, IN PROGRESS IN CARDIOLOGY, in YU PN AND GOODWIN JF, editors. Philadelphia, PA: Lea & Febiger;1975;4:199-224. Review-BMJ
46. KONES RJ; VENTRICULAR MECHANICS FOLLOWING ACUTE MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION AND IN CARDIOGENIC SHOCK (ABSTRACT), CARDIOLOGY WORLD 1. (AUGUST) 1975; 5:7 – 8.
47. KONES RJ; RATIONAL THERAPY IN CARDIOGENIC SHOCK 1976, HOSPITAL FORMULARY. (JANUARY, NUMBER 1) 1977; 12:47 – 54.
48. KONES RJ; TREATMENT OF SHOCK COMPLICATING ACUTE MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION, PRIMARY CARDIOLOGY. (SEPTEMBER) 1976; 2:38 – 43.
49. KONES RJ; EDITOR, NEW HORIZONS IN CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASES, LIBRARY OF CONGRESS #79-89752, ISBN #0-87993-101-G, MT. KISCO, NY 10549; FUTURA PUBLISHING COMPANY; 1980-1983; VOLUMES 1 – 3.
50. KONES RJ; SHOCK CARDIOGENICO, (SPANISH TRANSLATION), EDICIONES TORAY, SA, 9, BARCELONA, SPAIN; RIERA DE SAN MIGUEL; (NOVEMBER) 1976; 352 PP.
Arghya Narayan Banerjee
Yeungnam University, South Korea
International Journal of Nanomaterials, Nanotechnology and Nanomedicine
Dr. Pierre Guertin
Laval University, Canada
Archive of Gerontology and Geriatrics Research
Former member of MGH, USA
International Journal of Immunotherapy and Cancer Research
Vingolo Enzo Maria
Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
Journal of Clinical Research and Ophthalmology
Peter Lloyd Nara
Private Compnay- Biological Mimetics, Inc., USA
Annals of Antivirals and Antiretrovirals
ReGenera R&D International for Aging Intervention & San Babila Clinic, Milano, Italy
Archives of Clinical Gastroenterology
University of Pisa, Italy
Annals of Psychiatry and Treatment
Yeungnam University, Korea
International Journal of Immunotherapy and Cancer Research
Malgorzata Gabriela WASNIEWSKA
University of Messina, Italy
International Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism
University of Genoa, Italy
Global Journal of Allergy
PTZ: We're glad you're here. Please click "create a new query" if you are a new visitor to our website and need further information from us.
If you are already a member of our network and need to keep track of any developments regarding a question you have already submitted, click "take me to my Query."