Abstract

    Open Access Research Article Article ID: JSSR-7-241

    Functional outcomes of ulnar nerve neurotization by anterior interosseous nerve in high level injury

    HH Noaman*, Mohammed A Mohamed and Yasser Othman Sorour

    Background: The ulnar nerve injury induce sever hand malfunction due to intrinsic muscle paralysis. The ulnar nerve repair in proximal area (high ulnar nerve injury) seldom leads to intrinsic muscle function because of long distance of nerve return. Therefore, the best techniques to restore intrinsic hand function in patient with high ulnar nerve injury is distal nerve transfer to minimize the regeneration time and distance. 

     Objective: The aim of this study is to describe the surgical results obtained with the transfer of the motor branch of the anterior interosseous nerve destined to the pronator quadrates muscle to the motor division of the ulnar nerve (the deep branch of ulnar nerve).

    Methods: It is a retrospective study of thirty elderly patients with high ulnar nerve injury underwent a transfer of distal branch of anterior interosseous nerve to deep branch of ulnar nerve, and end to end suture of the ulnar nerve at the site of injury in Sohag microsurgery unit. 

    Results: The mean postoperative follow-up period was 22 months (range from 12 to 38 months). At the final follow-up, twenty-seven (90%) patients showed good results according to the Highet-Zachary scheme (M3 or M4, S3+, and negative Froment’s sign). The other three patient (10%) showed a poor result (M1, S2, positive Froment’s sign).

    Conclusion: This technique of transfer of distal branch of anterior interosseous nerve to deep motor branch of ulnar nerve and primary repair of ulnar nerve at site of injury is effective for motor and sensory recovery of distal ulnar innervated side of the hand.

    Keywords:

    Published on: Jul 9, 2021 Pages: 70-74

    Full Text PDF Full Text HTML DOI: 10.17352/2455-2968.000141
    CrossMark Publons Harvard Library HOLLIS Search IT Semantic Scholar Get Citation Base Search Scilit OAI-PMH ResearchGate Academic Microsoft GrowKudos Universite de Paris UW Libraries SJSU King Library SJSU King Library NUS Library McGill DET KGL BIBLiOTEK JCU Discovery Universidad De Lima WorldCat VU on WorldCat

    Indexing/Archiving

    Global Views

    Case Reports

    Peertechz Tweets

    Pinterest on JSSR

    Google Reviews 11