Sakarya Akyazi State Hospital, ENT Clinic, Sakarya, Turkey
Received: 08 March, 2016; Accepted: 09 May, 2016; Published: 12 May, 2016
Caner Sahin, MD, Sakarya Akyazi State Hospital, ENT Clinic, Sakarya, Turkey, Fax: +90-264-4187835; E-mail:
Sahin C (2016) Treatment of Ankyloglosia with Coblation Assisted Surgery. Arch Otolaryngol Rhinol 2(1): 025-026. DOI: 10.17352/2455-1759.000017
© 2015 Sahin C. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Hypertrophic lingual frenulum; Tongue-tie; Coblation; Radiofrequency
Ankyloglossia is a disease characterized by difficulty in breast-feeding, limitation of tongue, and speech disorders. Prevalence of the disease is %1-10 in the literature (1). Cold knife, Laser surgery, electro cautery methods are used in the surgical treatment of the disease. Coblation radiofrequency technology provides low temperature work with minimal damage to neighborhood tissues. We present a 21 years old male with ankyloglossia treated by coblation surgery in the lights of the literature.
Ankyloglossia named also as hypertrophic lingual frenulum, tongue-tie in the literature. There is a fibrous band between base of tongue and tongue that prevents the movement of the tongue. Males are more often affected than females . Breast feeding, speech problems and nutritional problems are associated with the disease because of functional problem of tongue.
Treatment of the disease is surgical treatment. Time of the surgery is controversial. Cold surgery, electro surgery, laser surgical methods are described in the literature [2-4].
Coblation surgery is a new technology. Coblation surgery can be used in Tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, soft palate surgery, inferior turbinate surgery in head and neck surgery.
We present a 21 years old male with ankyloglossia treated by coblation surgery in the lights of the literature.
A 21 year old male is encountered to ENT clinics with speech disorder and tongue movement disorder. We found ankyloglossia with thick and short frenulum in our physical examination (Figure 1). The remaining head and neck examination was normal. There is no syndromic child and cleft palate in patient’s history. The diagnosis is based on physical examination and symptoms of the patients.
- Ballard JL, Auer CE, Khoury JC (2002) Ankyloglossia: Assessment, incidence, and effect of frenuloplasty on the breastfeeding dyad. Pediatrics 110: e63 .
- Heller J, Gabbay J, O’Hara C, Heller M, Bradley JP (2005) Improved ankyloglossia correction with four flap Z frenuloplasty. Ann Plast Surg 54: 623-628 .
- Haytac MC, Ozcelik O (2006) Evaluation of patient perceptions after frenectomy operations: A comparison of carbon dioxide laser and scalpel techniques J Periodontol 77: 1815-1819 .
- Doshi Y, Shah M, Khandge N, Sanghavi A (2010) Advantages of diode laser (940 Nm) over surgical blade in management of ankyloglossia: A case report. J Oral Laser Appl 10: 165-169 .
- Suter VGA, Bornstein MM (2009) Ankyloglossia: Facts and Myths in Diagnosis and Treatment. J Periodontol 80: 1204-1219 .
- Segal LM, Stephenson R, Dawes M, Feldman P (2007) Prevalence, diagnosis, and treatment of ankyloglossia: methodological review. Can Fam Physician 53: 1027-1033 .
- Pauws E, Peskett E, Boissin C, Hoshino A, Mengrelis K, et al. (2013) X-linked CHARGE-like Abruzzo-Erickson syndrome and classic cleft palate with ankyloglossia result from TBX22 splicing mutations. Clin Genet 83: 352-358 .
- Sudhakara Reddy R, Ramesh T, Vijayalakshmi N, Lavanya Reddy R, Swapna LA, et al. (2012) Van der Woude syndrome- a syndromic form of orofacial clefting. J Clin Exp Dent 4: 125-128 .
- Harris EF, Friend GW, Tolley EA (1992) Enhanced prevalence of ankyloglossia with maternal cocaine use Cleft Palate Craniofac J 29: 72-76 .
- Pauws E, Moore GE, Stanier P (2009) A functional haplotype variant in the TBX22 promoter is associated with cleft palate and ankyloglossia. J Med Genet 46: 555-561 .
- Heller J, Gabbay J, O'Hara C, Heller M, Bradley JP (2005) Improved ankyloglossia correction with four-flap Z-frenuloplasty Ann Plast Surg 4: 623-628 .
- Tuli A, Singh A (2010) Monopolar diathermy used for correction of ankyloglossia. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 28: 130-133 .
- Ramya V, Mani Sundar N, Balaji A (2012) Management of ankloglosia with scarpel and electrosurgery method. Indian Journal of multidisciplinary dentistry 2: 472-475 .
- Aras MH, Göregen M, Güngörmüş M, Akgül HM (2010) Comparison of diode laser and Er:YAG lasers in the treatment of ankyloglossia. Photomed Laser Surg 28: 173-177 .
- Fiorotti RC, Bertolini MM, Nicola JH, Nicola EM (2004) Early lingual frenectomy assisted by CO2 laser helps prevention and treatment of functional alterations caused by ankyloglossia. Int J Orofacial Myology 30: 64-61 .
- Kotlow L (2011) Diagnosis and treatment of ankyloglossia and tied maxillary fraenum in infants using Er:YAG and 1064 diode lasers. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 12: 106-112 .
- Duarte VM, Liu YF, Shapiro NL (2014) Coblation total tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy versus coblation partial intracapsular tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy in children. Laryngoscope 124: 1959-1964 .
Follow us on Academia.edu
Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)